this recipe makes 3 tarts
For the pastry:
- 110g YesYouCan Plain Flour
- 55g cold unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp cold water
- ½ of a large egg
- 15g icing sugar
For the filling:
- 75g butter
- 150g dark chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 5 instant coffee (dissolved in 3 tbsp of warm water)
- In a bowl combine the plain flour, icing sugar and butter till they form a sandy texture. Make sure the butter is cold to avoid clumps.
- Once the mix has reached the desired consistency, add the egg as well as the cold water and combine to form a soft and smooth dough. Cling wrap and refrigerate this for 20-30 minutes during which you can make your filling.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together over a double boiler. (To make a double boiler place a saucepan full of water on the stove. When the water starts simmering, place your bowl of chocolate and butter over this making sure the heat is not too high)
- Once this mix has come down to room temperature, add the egg yolks and sugar to this along with coffee that has been dissolved in boiling water. Rest this while you prepare the tart shells.
- At this stage, pre heat your oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Roll out the refrigerated dough between two baking papers to a thickness of 3-4mm. Cut out circles bigger than the upper face of your tart shell and press down the dough into the moulds, evenly.
- Using a fork, prick the base and sides of the entire dough without letting it tear. This is known as blind baking and helps to bake the pastry entirely before adding your filling to it.
- Bake this for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Take it out on a wire rack and allow it to cool completely.